Posts Tagged ‘Exhale Mind Body Spa’
I’m going on a beach vacation in Jamaica over the week of the Fourth of July, so when I got an email with the subject line, Get Rock Hard Abs by July 4th, I was thoroughly intrigued. I’ve got less than a month to whip myself into bathing suit shape, so I am definitely going to use the following tips from Elisabeth Halfpapp, co-founder of exhale mind body spa and its famed Core Fusion classes. She suggest doing the following exercises four times a week for 10 minutes to score awesome abs.
Fly Up: Targets abs
- Sit on floor on a folded towel, lean back to rest on elbows and place feet hip-width apart on wall in front of you so that knees are bent about 90 degrees.
- Press rounded lower back into floor and squeeze abs as you extend legs up, keeping feet against wall and lifting arms to reach toward feet, elbows soft. MAKE IT HARDER: Really press feet into wall as you extend legs.
- Do 20 pulses: curl torso up 1 inch then lower 1 inch.
- Do 3 sets, hugging knees to chest to rest between sets.
Twisted Curl: Targets abs, obliques
- Sit on floor on a folded towel with knees bent and feet flat, then lean back to rest on elbows.
- Press rounded lower back into floor, squeeze abs and curl torso up toward left, lifting arms so that both hands grasp outside of left thigh.
- Maintaining curl, release hands so that both hover to outside of thigh and do 20 pulses: Curl torso up toward left by 1 inch then lower 1 inch. MAKE IT EASIER: Keep both hands on thigh for pulses. MAKE IT HARDER: Raise arms overhead for pulses.
- Switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Side Plank-up: Targets abs, obliques, inner thighs
- Lie on right side on floor with legs stacked and a rolled-up towel between thighs, propping torso up on right elbow so that right forearm pointing in front of you. MAKE IT EASIER: Stagger feet so that side of left foot is on floor in front of right for a wider base of support.
- Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from head to toe, squeezing towel between thighs.
- Hold for 1 count, then lower.
- Do 10 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do three sets.
C-Curve: Targets abs, quads, inner thighs
- Stand facing a wall with legs together, squeezing rolled-up towel between thighs.
- With knees slightly bent, hinge forward at hips to place palms on wall, arms extended, so that back is nearly parallel to floor.
- Squeeze abs and towel as you rise onto toes, then do 20 pulses: Lower hips one inch then back up. MAKE IT HARDER: Start with knees bent 90 degrees so that hips are closer to knee level, then pulse.
- Do 3 sets.
I’m planning to start this regimen today. Feel free to share these tips with your clients (and try them yourself), and keep me posted on the state of your summer tummies.
This year marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, which takes places April 22. But at Exhale Mind Body Spa locations around the world, the celebration lasts for two months. Guests receive a $10 discount on any $50 purchase of services and products from the spa’s GRN line throughout the months of April and May.
Grow. Restore. Nurture. (GRN) by Exhale is an eco-conscious, paraben-free skincare line designed to heal and transform the skin from the inside out. Each and every component was carefully chosen to embody Exhale’s dedication to health, beauty, and the sustainability of both their guests and the environment. These products extend beyond treating the outer skin by addressing the inner issues that contribute to healthy skin, and by embracing components of nutrition, exercise, and relaxation. The products are used in several signature treatments, including the GRN Facial, the GRN Manicure, and the GRN pedicure, and they are also available in all Exhale retail areas.
But Exhale’s efforts are just a small sampling of the spa industry’s efforts on behalf of Earth Day. Be sure to check out our April issue for more about what spas are doing to save the planet. Along with an article from the Green Spa Network that provides tips for greening your spa, we also highlight eco-conscious products, treatments, and more.
What are you doing to go green this month? Share your comments here.
We’ve come across a fun investment opportunity for spa-goers who want to boost their health and wellness portfolio. Exhale Mind Body Spa has created a spa savings plan even the most non-money-minded can get behind. This year, from Nov. 30 to Dec. 3, Exhale fans can get pampering gifts for friends and family while putting away money to pamper themselves and get back into shape for 2010. For every $100 gift card purchased for a friend, Exhale will match the purchase with a $50 credit for spa/wellness/fitness to be used in 2010. (The promotion code for this package is exgc50.) This credit is valid from Jan. 1 to Oct. 31, 2010. It’s like a 401(k) plan for wellness and renewal!