I’m such a girly-girl at heart and, as such, I always choose to wear flirty skirts and dresses instead of pants whenever I can. So, when I was recently introduced to the website RunningSkirts.com, it was a dream come true! The site specializes in designing and distributing super-cute ladies running skirts, available in a variety of colors and patterns. I chose the Azure Dot Running Skirt (shown here) as my first purchase, and I was so excited to test it out for the first time on one of my early morning runs in Central Park. The super-light wicking fabric, flattering flat waistband, and attached mesh brief with reverse seams make the skirt not only adorable but also comfortable. It also has two Velcro side pockets for my keys and iPod. Just when I thought I couldn’t enjoy a good run any more, it turns out looking cute while exercising makes it even more fun! Check out the skirts by clicking here.
My co-workers make fun of me on a daily basis because I am never seen walking around the office without a bottle of water in hand. I consciously try to keep hydrated at all times, as I realize the benefits of drinking plenty of water for my skin and overall health. However, living in New York, City, I don’t exactly trust the water that comes from the tap, which both smells and tastes terrible. But buying 10-plus bottles of water per day not only costs a fortune but it is also environmentally irresponsible. Now, thanks to the fine folks at WaterGeeks, I no longer have to struggle with this issue. The company recently introduced the Pure Blue Filtered Bottle, a portable, affordable solution created to reduce chlorine, chromium, heavy metals, and other contaminants found in tap water. The filter capacity is 80 gallons (which is about 800 12-ounce servings), so it doesn’t have to be changed often. The bottles are available in a variety of colors, so I can even look stylish while drinking responsibly! To find out more or to order your own bottle, click here.
One of the most amazing islands I have visited throughout my travels is hands-down Virgin Gorda in the B.V.I., where I was lucky enough to spend a few glorious days soaking in the serenity at Rosewood Little Dix Bay, a luxury resort located amidst lush foliage on a half-mile crescent-shaped beach. In addition to being totally secluded and relaxed, guests also have the option to be active, thanks to the Wellness Retreats, which first launched this past January and were received with such enthusiasm that they will continue to be offered throughout 2012. Starting at $3,308, these four-night packages include luxury accommodation (and, I can attest to the fact that they are, indeed, luxurious), two yoga classes per day, daily breakfast and dinner, roundtrip airport transfers from Tortola, one massage per person, and a welcome amenity. Guests can choose between the following options in 2012:
Revitalize, Refresh, Renew Yoga (Available Jan. 14-18, Jan. 18-22, June 2-6, June 6-10) Visitors will experience the ancient discipline of yoga while practicing postures while surrounded by the beauty of nature. Johnny Anzalone, a certified instructor of Hatha, Vinyasa and Ashtanga yoga, meditation, Pilates and dance, will lead students through daily classes, which will consist of multi-level yoga, meditation, core strengthening and stretching, and the choreography of asana and alignment. The core work practice will be held throughout the tranquil resort and on secluded beaches.
Frankly Fitness Immersion (Available Apr. 21-25, Apr. 25-29, Nov. 3-7, Nov. 7-11) New York City fitness professional Frank Baptiste has experience working with a variety of clients of all ages and abilities from new mothers to professional athletes. He will help students during three classes each day learn the skills they need to achieve fitness goals and keep them moving both during this program and after they return home. The beachside and poolside workshops including Move Well Morning Workout, Jump Rope Techniques, 21st Century Core Training, and Kettlebell Sessions will have your muscles toned and the calories melting.
I am a big proponent of cleanses and have tried many different kinds over the years, but I’m always on the lookout for more. So, when I recently received a box of GliSODin Skin Nutrients’s Advanced Detoxification Formula, I was very excited to get started on the 15-day program. In fact, I even talked our art director into joining me. Formulated to promote detoxification through the liver, kidneys, intestinal tract, and skin to promote optimum health, the cleanse includes sachets of potent antioxidants and botanical extracts in powder form that we have to mix with water and drink twice daily. In addition to releasing harmful toxins, such as heavy metals, chemicals, and microbial compounds, this system is supposed to give us more energy, promote clear skin, and assist in weight loss. It also comes with a list of foods to consume and foods to avoid during the two-week period in order to achieve maximum results. We just started following the program this morning, but I will keep you posted over the next few weeks on our progress. I’m not gullible enough to think we are going to look like Sandra Bullock (who is a fan of the detox), but we do hope to look and feel healthier by the end. Wish us luck!
My best friend, who is currently 4 months pregnant with her second child, is constantly talking about how rundown and achy she feels this time around. My suggestion to her? Take a mini-getaway to The Spa at The Inn at Bay Harbor in Michigan and indulge in one of its five newly introduced services for moms-to-be. Using products from Mama Mio, expectant women can choose from:
• Yummy Tummy – An omega-rich facial for the tummy that maximizes skin strength, health, and elasticity of the abdomen and includes an upper back, neck, and head massage
• Lighten Up – A mineral-rich foot soak, exfoliation, and massage for the lower legs and feet to help with poor circulation, water retention, and the tiring affects of carrying a baby.
• Mellow Mama – Full body massage using effective pre-natal techniques and omega-rich oils to relieve lower back muscles and pain
• The Smoothie – Rejuvenates and exfoliates skin gently and effectively using Mama Mio’s most moisturizing massage cream to hydrate and elasticize skin and finishes with a soothing scalp massage
• 4th Trimester Healing Hour – A restorative massage that helps the body realign with being one again.
These treatments are sure to relax Mom’s mind until her little bundle of joy arrives. (Plus, after receiving one of these services, I won’t have to listen to my friend complain anymore.)
There are few things in life that make me smile more than a really good flash mob. And when it comes to my nails, there is nothing that makes me smile more than getting a CND Shellac manicure, which, I can attest to, lasts for weeks without chipping or smudging. So, seeing a video of these two things together just brought pure bliss to an otherwise boring Wednesday afternoon. Have a few minutes for a quick pick-me-up? Click here and enjoy.
Although I am usually a beachy-type of girl, I have a special place in my heart for Santa Fe, NM. There is something about the rich culture mixed with the fresh desert air that gives me a sense of serenity. One of my favorite times to visit this Southwestern gem of a city is in the summer, and now Nidah Spa at the renowned Eldorado Hotel & Spa gives me one more reason to head to the desert. Available this July, Nidah Spa is celebrating the arrival of Summer Solstice with the introduction of these three sensational summer experiences featuring products from Body Bliss:
• Prickly Pear Pedicure: This treatment uses the healing power of aloe to help revitalize tired feet using Prickly Pear Aloe and Yucca
• Desert Aloe Soothing Gel Body Wrap: Clients are comfortably wrapped up in cucumber, lavender, and seabuckthorn berry extracts, the combination of which both cools and heals the skin, before being slathered with a Desert Dew moisturizer made of cedar, rosewood, lavender, and desert chaparral for a fresh glow
• Turquoise Sage Organic Facial: This facial gently exfoliates the skin with a AHA cream cleanser and Wild Pumpkin Mask and hydrates with Wild Carrot and Turquoise Sage Hydro Silk
Wynne Business senior consultant Lisa Starr will be presenting a two-day advanced spa workshop in Sandton, South Africa July 12 and 13 after the Spa Conference 2011. During professional education opportunity, attendees will learn about advanced techniques in several topics, including finance, spa marketing, management practice, human resource strategies, and developing leadership skills. To find out more, click here.
A good friend of mine spent last year working as a dive instructor in the Maldives, and he says it was the best time of his life. (He recently returned to his regular job in finance on Wall Street…so he is missing island life terribly.) Although I myself have yet to visit the area, my friend told me how beautiful the island is, how amazing the diving conditions are, and how fantastic the local culture is. Now, adventure-seekers have a chance to experience it in style aboard the Four Seasons Explorer. Returning to the Maldives this July for the summer, the Explorer offers guests these five highlights of the cruise:
• Deep Sea Dive: This offers the opportunity for guests to mingle with manta rays, whale sharks, and other marine life while exploring reefs, thilas, and wreck during he Four Seasons Explorer’s exclusive night dives.
• Customized Cruise: Ideal for those who want to venture out on their own, this option includes a private cruise for up to 22 people and plan a tailored itinerary revolving around their interests, such as surfing, diving, or island hopping.
• Live Among the Locals: For an authentic island experience, vacationers can choose to mingle with Maldivians in local villages and remote towns, including Bodu Huraa, where they can visit mosques and purchase items from native artists.
• Water Adventures: Sea lovers can take their underwater adventures a step further than snorkeling or scuba diving by venturing into more daring water activities, such as wakeboarding…or they can choose to just simply relax by tubing in the crystal clear waters.
• Pop Up Spa: Relaxation-seekers can enjoy treatments inspired by Asia’s ancient healing principles, such as and Indian Herbal Oil Massage or a Sun-Soother Wrap, on many of the ship’s stops on isolated islands.
To find out more about these at-sea adventures, click here. Hope to see you aboard!
With its crystal clear waters, amazing beaches, lush rainforest, and breathtaking view of the famous Piton Mountains, I have to say that St. Lucia is one of the most beautiful islands I’ve had the opportunity to visit. And I am hoping for the chance to return to the island’s former French capital of Soufriére November 17-20 to enjoy the first health and wellness retreat being offered there. Throughout the course of the four days, visitors will be able to enjoy workshops and wellness experiences featuring experts in yoga, feng shui, art, and cuisine. The retreat coincides with preparations of building a destination spa at the drive-in volcano, which offers visitors mineral baths. Says Senator Allen Chastanet, minister of tourism and civil aviation for St. Lucia, “Soufriére was chosen in part because of the number of world-class spas in the town, and we are pleased that our hotels and resorts are onboard for the retreat.” To find out more, click here.