Archive for August 4th, 2011
Today is National Pampering Day (who knew?), and, in light of this “holiday,” Howard Murad, M.D., author of The Water Secret: The Cellular Breakthrough to Look and Feel 10 Years Younger (Wiley, 2010), offers these tips to help you (and your clients) celebrate:
• Consider facials a necessity. Facials not only revitalize the skin but they also relax the mind. A facial that feeds the skin with alpha-hydroxy acids, antioxidants, and peptides, provides a boost to the complexion.
• Enjoy some quiet time. Car horns, loud televisions and iPods, and the constant ringing of cell phones all congest our minds and interrupt thoughts. Quieting the mind will help the body recharge for upcoming busy days ahead. Remember to turn off the TV one hour prior to sleeping and refrain from stressful activities and conversations two hours prior. Meditating is a great way to clear the mind, center the body, and relax after a hectic day.
• Create an exercise routine. While some people don’t equate exercise with pampering, activities such as yoga and hiking are a great way to connect with both your inner voice and nature to calm the mind and body. Exercising regularly nourishes the skin with oxygen while sweating flushes out toxins. It will also improve digestion and increase metabolism and endocrine function so that the entire body is functioning at an optimal level.
• Do something you love. Numerous studies have defined happiness as the pursuit of engaging in meaningful activities. Participating in something you’re passionate about reduces stress, promotes positive self-reflection, and connects people based on similar interests. Enjoying the simple pleasures of life helps promote overall mental and physical health.
• Pay attention to what you eat. Maintaining a balanced, healthy diet can do wonders for a person’s overall appearance and feelings of wellbeing. Eating poorly takes a physical toll on the skin. Try new recipes, and enjoy tempting the senses with aromas and tastes of new ingredients.
I’ve always been a big fan of paying it forward. That’s why when I read about Boom Boom! Cards, I was intrigued. Each deck contains 26 individual act of kindness that are meant to be performed and then paid forward. For instance, one reads, “Unexpectedly pick up the tab, even if it’s not a special occasion.” You can register your cards online in the Boom Boom! Community at www.boomboomcards.com, where stories, videos, and photos of altruistic acts are posted. You can also track the cards as they get passed around the world. An ideal spa retail item, these cards can help bring a smile to anyone’s day. They certainly did mine.