I’m going on a beach vacation in Jamaica over the week of the Fourth of July, so when I got an email with the subject line, Get Rock Hard Abs by July 4th, I was thoroughly intrigued. I’ve got less than a month to whip myself into bathing suit shape, so I am definitely going to use the following tips from Elisabeth Halfpapp, co-founder of exhale mind body spa and its famed Core Fusion classes. She suggest doing the following exercises four times a week for 10 minutes to score awesome abs.
Fly Up: Targets abs
- Sit on floor on a folded towel, lean back to rest on elbows and place feet hip-width apart on wall in front of you so that knees are bent about 90 degrees.
- Press rounded lower back into floor and squeeze abs as you extend legs up, keeping feet against wall and lifting arms to reach toward feet, elbows soft. MAKE IT HARDER: Really press feet into wall as you extend legs.
- Do 20 pulses: curl torso up 1 inch then lower 1 inch.
- Do 3 sets, hugging knees to chest to rest between sets.
Twisted Curl: Targets abs, obliques
- Sit on floor on a folded towel with knees bent and feet flat, then lean back to rest on elbows.
- Press rounded lower back into floor, squeeze abs and curl torso up toward left, lifting arms so that both hands grasp outside of left thigh.
- Maintaining curl, release hands so that both hover to outside of thigh and do 20 pulses: Curl torso up toward left by 1 inch then lower 1 inch. MAKE IT EASIER: Keep both hands on thigh for pulses. MAKE IT HARDER: Raise arms overhead for pulses.
- Switch sides and repeat. Do 3 sets.
Side Plank-up: Targets abs, obliques, inner thighs
- Lie on right side on floor with legs stacked and a rolled-up towel between thighs, propping torso up on right elbow so that right forearm pointing in front of you. MAKE IT EASIER: Stagger feet so that side of left foot is on floor in front of right for a wider base of support.
- Lift hips so that body forms a straight line from head to toe, squeezing towel between thighs.
- Hold for 1 count, then lower.
- Do 10 reps. Switch sides and repeat. Do three sets.
C-Curve: Targets abs, quads, inner thighs
- Stand facing a wall with legs together, squeezing rolled-up towel between thighs.
- With knees slightly bent, hinge forward at hips to place palms on wall, arms extended, so that back is nearly parallel to floor.
- Squeeze abs and towel as you rise onto toes, then do 20 pulses: Lower hips one inch then back up. MAKE IT HARDER: Start with knees bent 90 degrees so that hips are closer to knee level, then pulse.
- Do 3 sets.
I’m planning to start this regimen today. Feel free to share these tips with your clients (and try them yourself), and keep me posted on the state of your summer tummies.