While it may be easier to shoot off an email or a quick text, the art of conversation is still valued. And, according to Maribeth Kuzmeski, author of several books, including The Connectors: How the World’s Most Successful Businesspeople Build Relationships and Win Clients for Life (Wiley, 2009) stresses the importance of communicating through actually talking, as opposed to relying on technology. “Conversations are the building blocks of relationships,” says Kuzmeski. “Without them, we form relationships that are devoid of substance. But for anyone who wants to create truly beneficial relationships, you have to stop texting, walk away from the computer, and connection with someone one-on-one through a great conversation.” Here, Kuzmeski offers more tips on why we should talk more:
• It puts quality ahead of speed.
• It’s the glue of great relationships.
• It’s the only way to see what someone is saying.
• It’s an opportunity-making skill.
• It’s a great way to invest in others.
• It is not a requirement to be the most outgoing person in the room.
• It’s the best way to mend a broken relationship.
• It makes life better.