Discover the Ugly Side of Spa
with a New Book from an Industry Insider

Everyone knows that work is called that for a reason. While some careers tend to have more glam than others, most jobs come with a downside. What Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly (2000), by Anthony Bourdain, did for the culinary set, Lora Condon’s Spa Wars: The Ugly Truth about The Beauty Industry (2011) seeks to do for the spa set.  A licensed esthetician since 1998, Condon goes behind closed spa doors to reveal some of the dirty industry secrets she has witness over the years. From spas that re-use worn robes and used towels to clients with questionable hygiene, she doesn’t mince words when it comes to taking the “warm and fuzzy” out of spa.

Share/Bookmark
8 Comments so far
  1. Emma Sophie March 6, 2011 10:16 pm

Looks like a great read. We need the “warm and fuzzy” — also known as FRAUD and FAKE — to be removed to reveal the real truth! Go Lora.

2. Joe Sommese March 7, 2011 8:40 am

As the owner of a large networking company, working with people is what I do. Lora gave me a whole new incite on the human experience. You can’t get what Spa Wars shares from Maxwell, Robbins or other self improvement books because she deals with the front lines. I laughed and learned and will be making some changes on my next visit to the spa LOL!

3. Valerie Wood March 8, 2011 5:49 pm

This book is not any beauty book. I love its fresh and gripping style and at the same time its informative side about the spa world. It’s really worth reading it!!!!!!

4. Phyllis Gerber March 8, 2011 10:10 pm

One of the funniest books I have ever read in my entire life. I especially loved the Caddy Shack chapter. LOL!!
    Looking for a good laugh…. read this book.

5. David Carter March 9, 2011 3:19 pm

I have been asked to write a book for years, one of the suggested titles was “SPAMA” for Spa Drama… yes there is the ugly for sure.. but DRAMA kills me.. as well as unknowing and uninformed “money” people… Don’t you sometime giggle when folks say.. “you work in a spa, that must be so lovely and tranquil”

Now a moment of special blessings to the hair stylists in spa..

6. Carol March 9, 2011 5:11 pm

I can’t believe some of the things the author says really happen! She is hilarious and the information is priceless! This book is an excellent tool.

7. Julie Gulbrandsen March 16, 2011 9:20 pm

Having been a Licensed Esthetician for 22 years, working for too many dim-witted, egotistical spa owners & having plenty of department store cosmetic counter jobs while wearing mandatory stilettos “HALLELUJAH”!!!

8. Janet March 18, 2011 11:28 pm

Its about time! Unsanitary conditions found in a few spas have resulted in “SHOT GUN” inspections and rulings that are blasting the innocent along with the criminally nasty in our state. Hopefuly the double standard rules will soon be weeded out. Nasty is nasty no matter how big or small your spa is.