Archive for January 31st, 2011
As a teenage girl, it is so important to have a role model in ones life who we aspire to be like and inspires us to fulfill our dreams. Jane Wurwand, founder and owner of Dermalogica, is one such person. She has served as inspiration for women for decades, and most recently, she has been chosen to participate in the 50 Years of the Pill: Bayer’s Celebration of Women’s Empowerment campaign, an online photo book that highlights such heroic women as Wurwand, Gloria Steinem, and others. The breathtaking black-and-white portraits were taken by legendary photographer Annie Leibovitz and also include winners of the Bayer’s Make Your Mark contest, a contest that honors women who have submitted unique ideas on how they plan to make a positive impact on their communities. Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals worked on this powerful retrospective with national nonprofit Step Up Women’s Network (SUWN) to highlight how far women have come in the past 50 years, since the introduction of the birth control pill. Wurwand serves as a mentor at SUWN, and Dermalogica helps to create fundraising events to benefit teen girls who are at risk. Says Wurwand, “I am dedicated to ensuring the next generation of women is empowered through our partnership with Step Up Women’s Networks, mentoring professional women and the girls who admire them is a value we share.”
While I know for a fact that wellness is no laughing matter and that the benefits of spa are, indeed, endless, I also know it’s important not to take oneself too seriously. So, please, click here and enjoy this silly Saturday Night Live skit, “Spa Talk.” I hope, like me, you enjoy a quick giggle before getting back to the serious business of running your spa. Enjoy!
Although I enjoy my job and writing this very blog, the countdown has begun until I meet one of my closest friends for a vacation. In exactly three days (yes, I am counting), we will be in paradise, locked and loaded for good times. Nothing can recharge your battery as much as precious times with friends. With that in mind, Kohler Waters Spa at The American Club Resort (Kohler, WI) is offering the perfect girls getaway with the Women’s Weekend of Wellness a package, a great way to rejuvenate the mind and body with your favorite ladies. The package is being offered from March 4-6 and includes guest speakers discussing the pathway to wellness, spa treatments, and more. Here is a complete list of what’s on the menu for the retreat. The laughter and memories will be up to you.
• Two nights at the Inn on Woodlake or The American Club Resort
• A 30 percent discount on Kohler Waters Spa services and complimentary access to the spa
• Access to all weekend events, including dinner with keynote speaker Dr. Laura Berman, a well-known and respected sex educator, researcher, and therapist
• Free access to the Sports Core Health & Racquet Club
• Group Vinyasa Yoga
Rates begin at $378 per person with a portion of the proceeds going to the Step Up Women’s Network, a national nonprofit membership organization that connects professional women with underprivileged teen girls for support, advancement, and mentoring, so you can have a wonderful time with the gals while doing a good deed!
For reservations and more information about guest speakers and the events, call (800) 344-2838, ext. 898 or visit www.americanclub.com.
I throw the phrase “environmental aggressors” around a lot because Bioelements creates formulas that are designed to counteract them. But every once in a while, someone will look at me with a puzzled expression and ask, “Who in the world are these environmental aggressors?”
Well first off, they’re not mean-spirited humans on a nasty environmental mission. But they are skin destroyers that will make your clients look older than they should. Let’s take a look at the worst of the worst:
- SMOKE – This goes for cigarette smoking, and to a lesser extent, second-hand smoke. It chokes your skin’s tissues, causing blood vessels to constrict, which leads to wrinkles, sallow tone, rough texture and I’ll say it again…wrinkles! Seriously, I can’t repeat it enough – smoking is one of the most preventable skin agers, and one of the worst environmental aggressors.
- UV RAYS – No matter if it’s summer or winter, the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays are there. The skin’s epidermis is literally paper-thin, so UV rays can pierce through it easily. UVA rays (the ones that cause premature aging) penetrate the deepest, all the way to the dermis, where blood vessels and nerves are found. Who knew?
- POLLUTION – There are just some places where you can actually see the pollution. Remember that grimy-looking air during the Beijing Olympics? But you don’t have to see pollution for it to harm to your skin. Clogged pores and a dull complexion will tell the story.
- STRESS – Skin stress can come in different forms. External stress from harsh weather or overly-strong product usage can redden and irritate. Internal stress—work, family, relationships—can show up as blotchy patches or overall sensitivity.
So, now that I’ve told you about the environmental villains, what about the heroes? Protect your clients’ skin during the day with a UVA/UVB sunscreen (try Bioelements’ SPF 50 FaceScreen), and a topical antioxidant serum (like Urban Detox) to fend against smoke and pollution. To combat the effects of smoke, nothing beats quitting (click here: http://smokefree.gov/). As for stress…when you figure out the answer, let me know. In the meantime, try Stress Solution so at least the skin can cope!
Do your clients do battle with any of these environmental aggressors? Share your comments here.
—Barbara Salomone, founder and president of Bioelements Professional Skin Care