Thanksgiving is right around the corner. For most people, that means time with friends, family, and food. Indeed, it’s easy to overindulge when presented with endless arrays of turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, eggnog, and more. But you don’t need to completely nix your healthy lifestyle plans. Here, take some tips from Brooke Capshaw, spa director at Aqua Star Spa at The Beverly Hilton (Beverly Hills, CA), who provides you with some ideas for enjoying the holiday without completely destroying your diet.
- Don’t skip meals. This backfires because you come to the next meal over hungry and eat more than intended.
- Fill up on lower calorie, nutrient dense foods such as fruits, veggies, popcorn, and lean cold cuts on whole grain bread.
- Make just one trip to the party buffet.
- Use a plate for even the smallest snack–you’ll eat less.
- Get outside!
- Beware of liquid calories-eggnog, beer soda, and wine. They go down so easy and often do not add much nutrition to your intake.
- Write a list of things to do other than to eat (such as take a walk, call a friend or do some dreaded cleaning)
- Be realistic: trying to lose weight during the holidays is a silly idea!
- When you arrive at a party, avoid rushing to the food. Greet people you know, conversation is calorie-free!
- Forget the all-or-nothing mindset. Depriving yourself of special holiday foods or feeling guilty when you do enjoy them isn’t a healthful eating strategy.
What are you doing to stay healthy this Thanksgiving and beyond? Share you comments here, and help us spread some healthy holiday cheer.