With my recent commitment to try to live a healthier lifestyle, I was pleasantly surprised to realize that just because a meal is nutritious, doesn’t mean it can’t also be delicious. Christine Denney, chef at the Oaks at Ojai (CA) couldn’t agree more. In fact, the spa’s fall menu incorporates a variety of dishes featuring heart-healthy figs, which are packed with calcium, vitamin A, potassium, iron, and fiber, with only 30 calories. Here, we share with you one of the spa’s popular recipes.
TURKEY BURGERS WITH FIG
• 1 1/2 lb of ground turkey
• 1/3 cup of chopped fresh figs
• 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
• 1/2 cup finely minced red onion
• 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1. Combine all of the ingredients, making sure not to overmix.
2. Divide into 6 portions and shape into burgers, and chill for one hour.
3. Using a non-stick spray, spray generously and cook burgers over medium heat for 3-5 minutes per side.
4. Serve warm in a whole wheat pita.