Although Earth Day comes around only once a year, that’s no excuse to forego making an effort every day to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Spa Gregorie’s (Newport Beach, Rancho Santa Margarita, and Del Mar, CA), a founding member of the Green Spa Network, makes such eco-friendly pursuits a part of each and every day. From using recycled paper and soy ink for all printed paper materials and using unbleached paper towels for treatments to donating all towels to various non-profit organizations and recycling all bottles, cans, and products used in services, the spa and its staff is focused on thinking green. Here are some tips the staff shares with its spa-goers to help them do their part:
- Reduce waste by buying refill bottles for your favorite product. If your favorite brand doesn’t have a refill system, consider switching to one that does. Otherwise, be sure to recycle the bottles.
- Stop blowdrying your hair. Instead, roll your hair with Velcro rollers and let it air dry. This not only reduces energy, it also helps preserve the health of your hair.
- Take shorter showers. A five-minute shower can use between 15 and 25 gallons of water. Also, give up hot showers, which use more energy, and substitute a lukewarm rinse.
- Use natural light to apply makeup. Not only does it save energy, it can also give you better results.
- Take advantage of mini freebies available at most hotels. You can also collect them in a basket for houseguests to use.