May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month, and for spas, it’s a time to remind clients about the benefits of protecting their skin from the damaging effects of the sun. As such, several of ISPA’s members are offering education, specials, and promotions that encourage safe sun practices and work to battle the effects of sun damage.
“Skin Cancer Awareness Month is a great opportunity for everyone to think about their skin and how to protect it,” says Brent Bauer, M.D., director of the Complementary and Integrative Medicine Program at the Mayo Clinic and ISPA’s Medical Advisor. “It’s especially important if you have increased risk factors for skin cancer such as fair skin, a history of sunburns or lots of moles.”
Want to make the most of this month? Take inspiration from some of the following spas:
- Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North (Scottsdale, AZ) offers a Cucumber Aloe Vera Wrap ($165, 50 minutes), which helps heal skin while clients feet are massaged and their scalps are soothed with a conditioning treatment.
- One Ocean Resort Hotel and Spa (Atlantic Beach, FL)’s Soothing Aloe Wrap ($155. 50 minutes) includes a cooling lavender mist and a healing aloe gel and rosehip lotion nourishes skin and restores moisture balance.
- The Spa at The Mirage (Las Vegas) features an Aloe Restoration Wrap ($155, 50 minutes), which replenishes the body’s moisture reserves and includes a revitalizing scalp and back massage.
- SpaTerre at Paradise Point Resort & Spa (San Diego) offers a Dilo Rescue Wrap ($75, 25 minutes), which is a calming sunburn treatment including a blend of cold pressed dilo and coconut oils, aloe vera, and passion fruit extract.
- Vdara Health & Beauty Spa (Las Vegas)’s Aloe & Chamomile Sun Repair Facial ($135, 60 minutes) reverses sun damage and aids in cellular regeneration. An environmental defense mask and botanical skin brightener lightens hyperpigmentation.
Click here for a full list of ISPA members’ suncare treatments and products. And stay tuned for American Spa’s June issue, which takes a look at ways to help protect your clients’ skin with state-of-the art spa suncare offerings.