Archive for December 22nd, 2009
Every year, my New Year’s resolution involves some form of trying to live a healthier lifestyle, whether it be exercising more or trying to eat better. This year, I am going to take the advice of Samantha Malone-Telesford, spa director at the newly opened
Ritz-Carlton Spa, Dove Mountain in Marana, AZ. In a recent email I received, Malone-Telesford lists 10 tips for nourishing the spirit through spa-ing. Maybe they will inspire you to set aside some time in your busy schedule in the new year for relaxation, as well.
1. Take a moment each day just for you, wherever you may be.
2. Select a destination spa to visit so you can immerse in total relaxation.
3. Seek indigenous ingredients and products for the ultimate spa immersion.
4. Remember that spa-ing is a complete experience, not just a single treatment.
5. Leave ample time to take a nap after (or even during) a spa experience.
6. Try a spa treatment sampler menu for something new and different.
7. Enhance your relationship with your partner by sharing the spa experience.
8. Surrender to the experience, whether it is 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or longer.
9. Make a promise to yourself to continue the spa experience by developing your own ritual for rejuvenation and stick to it at home and on the road.
10. Keep in mind that wellness is an investment that guarantees great returns…you have nothing to lose but your stress, aches, and pains.
As an editor, I’m often privy to the latest and greatest beauty innovations. Unfortunately, not all live up to the hype. Laser hair removal, however, is one that has proven a blessing and true time-saver for many. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford the numerous sessions it takes to achieve the final hair-free result. That’s why when I heard there was new home hair removal system on the market for $499, I jumped at the chance to try it. Silk’n SensEpil is a portable FDA-cleared device that uses the power of pulsed light to diminish unwanted body hair. With a built-in skin sensor, the device can only be used on appropriate skin types, thereby ensuring its safe use. While I recently completed my second session (performed while watching the season finale of Glee), I only just noticed this past weekend while at the gym that my legs were considerably smoother than usual. Considering I had decided to forgo shaving a day or two prior to that visit, I was duly impressed. I have to admit, I had been getting a little bored of the process, which consists of zapping a pulsed light up and down each leg. Seeing real results, though, renewed my excitement and commitment to attaining smooth, hair-free legs. It’s certainly less time-consuming and more convenient than shaving is in the long-term. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.